Wednesday 23 January 2013

My tips for getting (and staying) Fit and Healthy!

If you read my Hello 2013 post you would know that staying fit and healthy is one of my 2013 goals and, almost a month in, I feel good about how this one is going. I want to make it very clear that I am no expert in this area and am definitely no professional. I have, however, made strides with my fitness in the last few months and am feeling better than I have in a long time. So I thought I would share five things that I am doing in the hope that they may help you if you are on a health and fitness journey like me!

 photo 5E645655-1D1A-404A-A55F-338E614948F7-12763-000003A02DA7549D-1.jpg
1. Surround yourself with fit and healthy people- This is one that I feel like just happened to me, at work I sit next to a guy who is Cross Fit crazy and work with another girl who has decided we should all go to work early on Friday mornings and work out together. I have found having these people around me has really helped keep me on track. I have also discovered that very fit people are not "scary" as I once thought and more often than not are happy to discuss work out plans or tips with those of us who are less fit, I feel lucky that I have people supporting me and checking in on me as I work towards my fitness goals.

2. Be the fit/healthy person in your family/friends lives- I know that my first tip might be a little hard for some people, so my challenge to you, if you are not surrounded by fit people, is to be that person! Next time you catch up with someone, make it over a walk or after a gym class. Or maybe just suggest you cook at home instead of going out to eat. I love catching up with friends over a walk or a home cooked meal, not only does it save money, but I feel like I actually get to spend more quality time with that person, and they will probably be glad you suggested it!

3. If you're not having fun, try something new- I don't know about you, but I really seem to go through phases with my exercise. For a while there I liked Body Pump classes and then I decided I wanted to be a runner so I got myself a Couch to 5km podcast and laced up my running shoes. What I used to do, however, was be really dedicated for a month or two, get bored, and stop altogether. Not productive... So this time when I get bored of what I'm doing, I just try a few new things until I find something I like, and so far it is going well! I'm over my running phase and have recently really been liking RPM/Spin classes and Pilates, it's working for me right now, and when I get over it I might give Zumba a go, who knows??

4. Reward yourself with things that will keep you on track- I feel that it is really important to acknowledge success and milestones, so why not reward yourself with things fitness related? The only vital things I think you need to work out are well-fitting appropriate shoes and a supportive sports bra (my smaller-breasted friends may not even need that, for me, it is definitely an essential!) but there are other things that I have inested in that make working out a little more fun. I really like my yoga mat, it's pretty and purple, I also recently got a heart rate monitor from my Dad for Christmas which is not only fun, but a good motivating tool and later this year I will be investing in some more nice workout clothes. Obviously these are not essentials, but I think it's a much better alternative than food rewards, and if your little treat to yourself makes you want to hit the gym, I think it's a good one!

5. Give yourself a break- This one is probably the most important and the one that has helped me change my attitude towards food. I have really tried to make sure that the food in my house is healthy, that I don't have chocolate every night with my cup of tea, and that I make good choices when I can. But sometimes, things come up, and that's ok! Last weekend I was out in Sydney for a Hen's weekend, this included a high tea with copious amounts of tiny food and champagne (delicious!), followed by dinner and a few cocktails, then we went out for breakfast the next day, so much food in so little time! Did I feel guilty? No way! Because I knew when I got home at the end I would have a nice big salad for dinner and go back to my healthy eating that week. I don't ever want to be the person at high tea who has one cucumber sandwich, it's just not my idea of fun... I eat good, healthy food most of the time, and then when a food oriented special occasion comes up, I enjoy that too! My absolute favourite quote of all time is by Nigella Lawson, she says "Everythng in moderation... Including moderation", I love it! Well said Nigella!

These are just a few things that I have done that I feel have helped me stay on track with my fitness and healthy eating, I hope they help you out a little!

Do you have any healthy lifestyle tips for me? I would love to hear them! We can embark on a health/fitness journey together and encourage each other!

Zoe xx

6 comments:

  1. Good on you for sticking with it!! They are some great tips! I told myself I would be a healthier me this year - but things aren't going quite to plan :(
    I think I will take your post as my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, very inspiring ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Tips hun!best thing is to take it slow and treat yourself from time to time!

    http://thisgirlloveschic.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment on my blog :) you're so sweet! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post Zoe! Very helpful tips :) When it comes to food I use an app called 'Foodish' to record my meals, snacks, drinks etc for the day and rate them with how healthy they are. It just helps me remember what I have already had and make wiser choices. :)

    Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete